Photo: Marcus Nilsson
- The springy texture of the potato bun is favored by New York City's Shake Shack.
- In three of the offerings at Bobby's Burger Palace (locations along the East Coast), Bobby Flay swaps lettuce for peppery watercress.
- The subtly smoky sweetness of Blackberry Farm Smoked Onion Jam ($10; blackberryfarm.com) is the perfect complement to grilled meat.
- San Francisco's Fifth Floor restaurant tops its burgers with Comté, a French cow's-milk cheese prized for its Gruyère-like tang and excellent meltability.
- Lardo, in Portland, Oregon, spreads this simple, zippy—and previously secret—sauce on burgers. Get the recipe for Lardo sauce
- Among the toppings offered at chef Laurent Tourondel's BLT Burger (New York City, Las Vegas, and Hong Kong) are grilled red peppers, which offer an alternative to the typical tomato slice.