- 3 or 4 limes
- 1 cup grass-fed organic plain yogurt or kefir
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp. organic neutral-flavored oil, such as grapeseed, plus more as needed
- 8 cups or 1 (10-ounce) bag finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 small red onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 small green zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch slices
- 2 small yellow or crookneck squash, cut lengthwise into 1/3-inch slices
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1-inch strips
- 12 (5-inch) organic corn, sprouted-grain, or brown rice tortillas
Zest one of the limes. In a small bowl, combine the lime zest, yogurt, garlic, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and salt to taste. Set aside.
Halve and juice the zested lime, plus one more if necessary, to yield 2 tablespoons of juice. In a large bowl, combine the lime juice and oil. Add the cabbage, onion, cilantro, and salt to taste. Cut the remaining two limes into six wedges each. Set the cilantro slaw and lime wedges aside separately.
In a large, shallow bowl, combine the paprika, chili powder, coriander, and cumin. Dredge the vegetables in the spice mixture, arranging them in a single layer on a platter or baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
Preheat the grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Grill the vegetables until tender and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foil and place them on a cooler part of the grill. Heat until warm, 5 to 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
Divide the vegetables among the tortillas and top with the cilantro slaw and a dollop of the spiced crema. Serve warm, with the lime wedges on the side.
To make this recipe vegan and dairy-free, omit the yogurt and add the other crema ingredients to the slaw.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Clean Plates Cookbook © 2012 by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough, Running Press, a member of the Perseus Books Group.
More Healthy & Fast Recipes