- 1 large (or 2 baby) eggplant
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt , plus more to taste
- 4 zucchini or yellow squash (or any combination of the two)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper ' '
- 1 clove garlic , peeled
- 2/3 cup olive oil , divided in half
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (such as basil, marjoram, thyme, chives, flat leaf parsley, or any combination of the five)
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium heat (if using grill pan on stovetop, heat to medium high). Cut zucchini and/or yellow squash lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Cut peppers in half and remove seeds and stems.
Grill peppers skin side down. When skins have blackened and blistered, put peppers in a paper or plastic bag and close it. Allow peppers to cool, then slip off their skins with your fingers.
Brush zucchini and eggplant with 1/3 cup olive oil. Grill in batches, about 5 minutes on each side. (Take care not to burn eggplant, but make sure it is fully cooked.) Arrange cooked vegetables on a platter with peppers.
Chop garlic and, using a mortar and pestle or the tines of a fork on a plate, mash it with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place mixture in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, then mix in remaining 1/3 cup olive oil.
Drizzle vegetables with dressing. Sprinkle with herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a sheet of foil and set aside until ready to serve. Do not refrigerate.