Servings: Serves 8
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Peanut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 medium shallots , thinly sliced, rings separated
- 3 long hot red chilies , thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pounds skirt steak , cut into 4 pieces, excess fat trimmed, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 limes , halved
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 bunches watercress , trimmed
- 1 cup fresh chervil leaves
- Sea salt
To make dressing: In a medium bowl, add shallots, lime peel and juice, olive oil, mustard and salt. Whisk to combine.
To make garnish: In a medium deep saucepan, heat 1 inch peanut oil to 325°. While oil heats, divide flour between two bowls. Toss shallots in one bowl and chilies in the other. Shake excess flour from shallots and fry in batches until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined cookie sheet. Repeat with chilies. Sprinkle with salt.
To make steak and salad: Preheat a grill or stove-top grill pan to medium high. Sprinkle steak on both sides with salt. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove to a large bowl and squeeze juice from lime halves over steak; drizzle with oil; let stand while preparing salad.
In a large bowl, gently toss watercress, chervil, dressing and a pinch of crushed sea salt. Remove steak to a cutting board, reserving juices in bowl. Thinly slice steak. Place half of salad on a serving platter. Top with half of sliced steak. Reserve a small amount of salad to garnish top and repeat with remaining salad and steak. Whisk reserved juices in bowl and add salt to taste. Drizzle juices over salad. Sprinkle with shallots and chilies.