Servings: Serves 4
- 16 extra large, 6 to 8 count, peeled and deveined shrimp ' '
- Coarse salt
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Extra-virgin olive oil , EVOO, for liberal drizzling
- 1 package (3/4-pound) chorizo , cut into 16 thick slices on an angle
- 1 generous handful flat-leaf parsley
- 1 generous handful cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic , cracked from skin
- 1 jar roasted Piquillo Spanish peppers (available in most markets, roasted red peppers may be substituted, about 1 cup packed, drained)
- 1 can (28 ounces) fire-roasted tomatoes , diced or crushed
- 1 small yellow onion , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber , peeled, chopped
- 2 ribs celery from heart, chopped
- 2 thick slices crusty bread , chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce for medium to spicy heat level, adjust to your own taste
Preheat grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Zest 1 lemon and reserve on cutting board.
Place shrimp in shallow dish and season with salt, lemon juice and a liberal drizzle of EVOO—just enough to coat the shrimp. Skewer 4 shrimp alternating with 4 slices of chorizo on each skewer.
Place 2 tablespoons, a palmful, of parsley on the cutting board with the lemon zest. Add 1/2 a palmful of cilantro leaves to the pile as well as 1 clove of garlic. Finely chop this mixture and reserve for sprinkling over shrimp and gazpacho.
Place remaining herbs and garlic in the food processor or a large blender with peppers, tomatoes, chopped vegetables, bread and hot sauce and process until smooth.
Grill shrimp and chorizo 3 to 4 minutes on each side until shrimp is firm and opaque. Serve small bowls of gazpacho with shrimp skewers resting across the top of the bowls for dipping and dunking.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.