- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 boneless duck breast halves (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary , plus some sprigs for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce , plus more for dipping
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar , or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt , plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , plus more to taste
- 4 cups bitter greens (arugula, mizuna, frisée, or a combination)
- 2 ripe mangoes , peeled and chopped
Bring duck breasts to room temperature; preheat gas grill to medium-high, or prepare a charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
Place duck breasts on grill skin side down. Cook 5 to 8 minutes per side for rare and 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning and brushing with hoisin sauce about halfway through cooking time. Skin should be crisp and brown but not burned.
To make salad: In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Place breasts on a platter and let rest 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, place greens and mangoes in a salad bowl and toss with dressing. Cut duck into slices about 1/4-inch thick and garnish with rosemary sprigs. Serve with salad and a small bowl of hoisin sauce on the side for dipping.