- 16 sea scallops (about 12 ounces), preferably diver-caught
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar , or to taste
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 3 to 4 large ripe tomatoes , seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup (about 4 ounces) oil-cured black olives , pitted and chopped
- 1 bunch basil , roughly chopped
- 4 large waxy potatoes (preferably Yukon Gold)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a mixing bowl, combine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil and garlic. Stir in tomatoes, olives and basil. Season to taste with 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside. Preheat gas grill to medium-high, or prepare a charcoal grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
To make potatoes: Cut into slices, about 1/3-inch thick. Steam on stove top until barely tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, allow to cool slightly and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Place potatoes on grill and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, until browned. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm in a low oven.
Place scallops on grill fitted with an oiled, small-mesh grill rack and cook 1 minute per side, until edges are lightly browned. Divide scallops among 4 individual serving plates. Top with equal portions tomato-olive vinaigrette; serve with potatoes on the side.