Servings: Serves 6
- 1 bunch red Swiss chard , stems removed
- 2 dozen jumbo sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , divided
- 1 medium onion , finely diced
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 large ripe tomatoes , seeded and cut in wide julienne strips
- 1 cup fresh English peas or frozen peas , thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs , such as parsley, tarragon, basil and thyme
- 1 pound fresh saffron spaghetti or other fresh pasta, cooked according to package directions
Soak 6 wooden skewers in hot water for about half an hour. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add chard and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water until cool. Drain again; set aside.
Preheat grill to medium-high. Drain skewers; thread 4 scallops onto each one. Brush scallops with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; grill until just opaque in center, 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add onion and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes, peas, herbs and remaining teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
In a large bowl, combine pasta with tomato mixture. Arrange chard on 6 warm dinner plates. Place a mound of pasta in center of each plate. Remove scallops from skewers and arrange around pasta. Serve immediately.