Indoors or out, these skewered chunks of chicken are fun for everyone!
Servings: Makes 8 servings (1 1/2 cups dip)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts , halved (8 breasts)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2/3 cup diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover and marinate, turning occasionally, in refrigerator 6 hours or overnight.
In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, cook olive oil, sesame oil, red onion, garlic, gingerroot and red pepper flakes 10 minutes, or until onion is softened. Whisk in vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, sherry and lime juice, and cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
Heat a charcoal grill and cook chicken 10 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. Cool slightly and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Put each slice on a 7-inch bamboo skewer.
Place the bowl of dip in the center of a platter, and arrange chicken around the bowl, or transfer dip to individual plastic cups with 1 skewer dipped in each.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 18, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.