Grilled Leg of Lamb with Minted Yogurt, Cucumbers, and Olives
In this Greek-style preparation, lamb's grassy, almost floral taste calls for the bright, fresh flavors of cucumbers and mint-spiked yogurt.
Servings: Serves 8
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano , preferably Greek
- 2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 2 cloves thinly sliced garlic
- 1 piece (4 to 5 pounds) boneless leg of lamb , trimmed and butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain (2 percent) Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 English cucumber , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
Combine 3/4 cup olive oil with wine, vinegar, oregano, and thyme in a 9" x 13" baking dish and whisk together; stir in garlic. Generously season lamb all over with salt and pepper to taste, then arrange in dish, turning to coat all over with marinade. Cover and refrigerate, turning lamb occasionally, for 2 hours or overnight.
Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, put yogurt and mint in a small bowl and add salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine, then set aside. Toss cucumber slices in a medium bowl with remaining olive oil; add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Remove lamb from marinade and pat dry. Arrange on grill, fat-side down, and cook until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Turn lamb over and continue grilling until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130° for medium rare, about 15 minutes.
Transfer lamb to a large platter or cutting board and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Cut lamb into thin slices against the grain; transfer to plates. Serve with minted yogurt, cucumbers, and olives. If desired, serve grilled skewers of grape tomatoes and warm pita bread as extra sides.
Extra idea: Turn the elements of this dish into a gyro (Greek sandwich). Finely chop the cucumber with some garlic and combine with yogurt. Spread on grilled pita bread; top with lamb and diced tomatoes.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 24, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.