- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano , preferably Greek
- 2 tsp. finely chopped thyme
- 2 cloves thinly sliced garlic
- 1 piece (4 to 5 pounds) boneless leg of lamb , trimmed and butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup plain (2 percent) Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1 English cucumber , peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, put yogurt and mint in a small bowl and add salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine, then set aside. Toss cucumber slices in a medium bowl with remaining olive oil; add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Remove lamb from marinade and pat dry. Arrange on grill, fat-side down, and cook until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Turn lamb over and continue grilling until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 130° for medium rare, about 15 minutes.
Transfer lamb to a large platter or cutting board and set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Cut lamb into thin slices against the grain; transfer to plates. Serve with minted yogurt, cucumbers, and olives. If desired, serve grilled skewers of grape tomatoes and warm pita bread as extra sides.
Extra idea: Turn the elements of this dish into a gyro (Greek sandwich). Finely chop the cucumber with some garlic and combine with yogurt. Spread on grilled pita bread; top with lamb and diced tomatoes.