This recipe from Ubuntu's Garden-Fresh Menu yields enough romesco to also use as a dipping sauce for the Chickpea Fries, and if you are making the Roasted Pepper Consommé with Okra and Almonds, save the peppers to use here in preparing the romesco.
- 1/2 cup toasted unsalted almonds
- 2 Tbsp. toasted hazelnuts
- 16 roasted red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic , peeled and finely grated
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil , plus more for grilling
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 20 ripe figs , preferably Black Mission
- 4 thick slices crusty bread , such as bâtarde or ciabatta
- 1 pound burrata cheese ; available at Italian specialty stores
- 1/2 pound arugula
Prepare a gas grill or grill pan, then make romesco sauce: In a food processor, chop almonds and hazelnuts. Add peppers, garlic, and olive oil; process until combined. Mix in paprika, vinegar, and salt. Set aside.
Lightly coat figs with additional olive oil and grill about 1 minute per side; transfer to a cutting board. Brush bread with olive oil and grill, flipping once, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Cut figs in half (if desired, leave some whole). Spread a thin layer of romesco on bread. Arrange figs and bread on a platter with burrata and arugula, laying some arugula on top of bread as a garnish.