Grilled Chicken Burgers
- Nonstick cooking oil
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper , seeded and finely chopped
- 4 ounces white mushrooms , thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot , peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- 4 ripe Roma or plum tomatoes , seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup seasoned dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 6 soft hamburger buns , for serving
Add the breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, salt and pepper and mix well. Add the ground chicken and mix just until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
Meanwhile, build a charcoal fire in an outdoor grill and let the coals burn down until medium-hot (you should be able to hold your hand just above the cooking grid for 3 seconds). Or, preheat a gas grill on High, then turn to medium.
Shape the chicken mixture into six 4-inch-wide patties. Lightly oil the grill. Grill the burgers, turning once, just until they feel firm when pressed in the centers (the meat should bounce back), about 12 minutes. Serve hot, on the buns.