- 8 slices white peasant bread or whole wheat sourdough
- 2 or 3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham (such as Black Forest)
- 2 to 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Heat a grill pan or a 12-inch skillet with a lid over medium heat until warm. Place the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary) and cook, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cheese melts and bread is golden brown.
Cut each sandwich in half; slide in 1 or 2 tomato slices and serve hot.
Recommended tools: Grill pans are available at Cooking.com or Chefscatalog.com.