- 3 medium leeks (white and light green parts only)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots , thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs such as tarragon, chervil, or thyme
- 4 cups fresh shelled peas or 2 packages (10 ounces) frozen peas , thawed and drained
- 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream , optional
Heat butter in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add leeks, shallots, garlic, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are transparent, about 8 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp. fresh herbs and cook 30 seconds.
Add peas and 3 cups stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let soup cool slightly, about 8 minutes.
Using a standard or immersion blender, puree the soup. If using a standard blender, puree in small batches to prevent spillage. Add remaining tablespoon of herbs with last batch. Transfer to a clean pot or storage container; soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
To serve, reheat soup. Add milk and stir well. Use additional milk or stock if soup is too thick; simmer 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve immediately.