Summer's juicy, purple-red plums sliced carpaccio-style thin are the base of an extraordinary salad with crunchy green beans, pesto, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
This recipe is from Ubuntu's Garden-Fresh Menu
Servings: Serves 4
- 1 pound green beans , ends trimmed
- 1 cup basil leaves , plus more for garnish (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. toasted and lightly salted almonds , preferably Marcona
- 1 clove garlic , peeled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil , plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (half finely grated, half shaved)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 plums , preferably Santa Rosa, halved, pitted, and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Balsamic vinegar , for garnish (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Add green beans to boiling water; cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, then transfer to ice bath until well chilled; drain again and set aside.
To make pesto: Put basil, almonds, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse to form a paste; with motor running, drizzle in oil. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in grated cheese; add salt and pepper to taste.
Divide plums among 4 plates, arranging them in a circle on each and overlapping them slightly. Spoon 1/4 of pesto in small dollops over plums; set plates aside.
Add green beans, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to bowl with remaining pesto and toss well to coat. Arrange green beans on top of plums, then top with shaved cheese and lemon zest. Garnish with basil leaves, olive oil, and drops of balsamic vinegar; serve.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 7, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.