Serves 6 to 8
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups 1-inch chunks peeled butternut squash
- 12 dried apricots, halved
- 1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, mint, or flat-leaf parsley
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
Scrape the onions into a large slow cooker. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining ingredients, except the herbs, and toss well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
Taste for seasonings. Sprinkle with the herbs and serve hot.
Excerpted from The Mediterranean Slow Cooker, © 2013 by Michele Scicolone. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
More Slow-Cooker Recipes