- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large or 6 small shallots , sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 dried figs , stems removed, and halved
- 3 heads Belgian endive , cut in half lengthwise and sliced into strips
- 2/3 cup walnuts , toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons bittersweet syrup (saba, sapa, vin cotto, or mosto cotto, syrups made from reduced grape must)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Combine shallots with figs, endive, walnuts, parsley, 2 teaspoons saba, olive oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Spoon mixture onto a large platter. Cut cheese into slices and arrange on top of salad. Drizzle cheese with remaining 2 tablespoons saba, and garnish with cracked pepper.
Recommended ingredient: Saba, sapa, vin cotto and mosto cotto are available from Corti Brothers (800-509-3663) and DiPalo Fine Foods (212-226-1033)