Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 pound prosciutto , very thinly sliced and trimmed of fat (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops , rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups maple syrup
- 5 tablespoons rice wine ' '
- sake or very dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 (10-inch) bamboo or metal skewers , soaked in water for 1 hour
If using prosciutto, cut each slice lengthwise into thirds or pieces that are approximately 4 inches long and 1 inch wide. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each scallop and thread onto the bamboo skewers.
To make the maple syrup glaze: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Divide the glaze in half. Add oil to half the glaze and pour mixture over the scallops. Make certain they are well coated. Put the other half of glaze in a saucepan and warm over low heat.
Preheat a grill for a medium-hot fire, or preheat the broiler. Place grill rack 3 inches above the heat source and brush grill rack with oil. Grill scallops 3 to 4 minutes on each side, turning once, and brushing with some of the heated glaze. Remove and arrange cooked scallops on a serving platter. Pour remaining heated glaze over scallops and serve hot or warm.