Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds pork shoulder , boneless, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 small green cabbage , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red cabbage , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Granny Smith apple , cored and thinly sliced
- 1 red delicious apple , cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sour cream (optional)
In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over high heat. Add pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown, about 5–7 minutes. Add onions and cook for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until translucent. Add three cups of chicken broth and caraway seeds. Bring to a boil; reduce to low and cover. Cook for 3 hours on low; broth level should stay at about 1 inch inside the pot, add water if needed to maintain level. Add cabbages and apples and continue to cook for 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir remaining 1/2 cup chicken broth with mustard and parsley. Set aside.
Add noodles to stew and stir well; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve hot; swirl mustard sauce on top or serve alongside with sour cream.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 10, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.