Servings: Serves 6–8
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter , softened
- 4 large cloves garlic , minced, plus 1 whole head garlic
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped rosemary plus 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 (5- to 6-pound) whole chicken (large roaster)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds baby new potatoes , scrubbed clean
Preheat oven to 400°. Prepare a large roasting pan with a rack. Position oven rack to lower third shelf.
Combine butter, minced garlic, and chopped rosemary. Set aside.
Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle cavity of bird liberally with salt and pepper. Stuff with garlic head and rosemary sprigs. Rub chicken on all sides with half the butter mixture. Season with plenty of salt and pepper. Place chicken on prepared rack and roast 30 minutes. Toss potatoes with remaining butter. Arrange potatoes around chicken and baste bird with drippings. Continue to roast another 50 to 60 minutes, basting occasionally. Temperature of chicken should read 180° when meat thermometer is placed between leg and thigh. Remove chicken from oven and allow to rest 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.