For a more rustic dish, leave on the potato skin. Starch levels vary among potato types, so adjust the amount of milk you use to taste.
Makes 8 servings
- 5 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 10 to 12 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk, warmed
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste
DirectionsActive time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Put potatoes and garlic in a large pot and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes.
Drain potatoes and garlic, then return to pot. While potatoes and garlic are still very hot, add milk and butter and mash until blended. Fold in parsley, salt, and pepper and serve. If not serving immediately, keep warm on the stove.
More Delicious Comfort Food
Printed from Oprah.com on Wednesday, June 19, 2013
© 2012 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.