Servings: Serves 8–10
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/3 cups warm water (105° to 115°), plus more as needed
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter , room temperature, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) tart dried plums and dried apricots , cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse or granulated sugar
Into a cup with 1/4 cup warm water, sprinkle yeast and sugar and let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine yeast mixture, remaining 1 1/3 cups water, honey and orange zest. Add flour and salt, and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. With machine running, add butter and mix until blended. Add fruit and mix again until evenly distributed. Dough should be moister and looser than regular bread dough; add more warm water if necessary. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until almost doubles in volume, about 1 1/2 hours. (Note: Dough may be refrigerated overnight. Allow extra time for a second rise in a warm place, since dough will be cold.)
Butter a 9" x 12" baking dish. Transfer dough to dish; spread dough into corners with moistened fingers.
In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and cream together. Brush egg mixture on top of dough and sprinkle with sugar. Let dough rise again, 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
Bake until golden brown and springs back to the touch, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool. Cut into large squares and serve.