- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/3 cups warm water (105° to 115°), plus more as needed
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- Pinch sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter , room temperature, cut into pieces
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) tart dried plums and dried apricots , cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons coarse or granulated sugar
In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine yeast mixture, remaining
Butter a 9" x 12" baking dish. Transfer dough to dish; spread dough into corners with moistened fingers.
In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and cream together. Brush egg mixture on top of dough and sprinkle with sugar. Let dough rise again, 30 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
Bake until golden brown and springs back to the touch, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool. Cut into large squares and serve.