An ice-cold Bloody Mary is always satisfying—until the ice melts and dilutes the drink. To solve that problem, freeze cherry tomatoes and use them in place of ice cubes.
Servings: Serves 6
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chilled vodka (optional)
- 6 lime wedges
- 6 baby carrots , peeled, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 6 radishes , trimmed
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 6 stalks celery
- 6 stalks asparagus , blanched for 2 minutes
- 6 jumbo shrimp , boiled and peeled and/ or 2 tablespoons capers
Stem cherry tomatoes. Rinse in cold water, dry with paper towels and freeze at least 3 hours or up to 4 days.
In a large bowl, combine 2 pints frozen tomatoes with everything but the vodka and garnishes. In a blender, pulse in batches until just chunky.
Divide remaining frozen tomatoes among 6 chilled glass tumblers. Add 2 to 3 Tbsp. vodka (or more, depending on desired strength) and top off with 1 cup Bloody Mary mixture. Serve with any combination of the assorted garnishes.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 7, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.