Servings: Serves 4
- 1 small clove garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 scallions , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil , for frying
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large egg whites , whisked
- 2 1/2 pounds unripe tomatoes (green), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Kosher salt , to taste
- 2 1/2 cups baby arugula , or other baby lettuces
Combine dressing ingredients in a sealable container. Shake well; taste and add salt if needed.
In a nonstick skillet over high heat, bring 3/4 inch canola oil, plus bacon fat (if using), to very hot. On a large plate, combine cornmeal and pepper; place egg whites on another large plate. Dip tomato slices first in the egg whites and then in the cornmeal, pressing the cornmeal slightly into the tomato so that each slice is fully coated.
Add tomato slices to the oil in batches, taking care not to crowd. Fry until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove to a paper-towel-lined surface and sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve warm on a bed of baby lettuces, drizzled with dressing.