- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless pork rump or shoulder , trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 scallions , cut into 1 1/2-inch sections and lightly smashed
- 6 cloves garlic , thinly sliced and lightly smashed
- 6 slices fresh ginger (about the size of a quarter), lightly smashed
- 1 teaspoon Asian hot chile paste
- 2 to 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 ' ' whole star anise , smashed, or 1 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 sweet potatoes or yams , peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions , for garnish
Keep the oil in the pan hot, and add scallions, garlic, ginger, chile paste, cinnamon sticks, and anise; stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add 4 cups water, soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the pork and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes, cover, and cook until pork and potatoes are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with scallions, and serve atop a bed of steamed greens or accompanied by rice.