This recipe is from Judith Jones' Menu for One.
- 3/4 cup flaked cooked fish (see Baked Bass with Fingerlings and Zucchini)
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked potatoes
- 1 or 2 small scallions , including tender green part, finely chopped (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. grated fresh ginger , plus more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- light olive oil , for frying
- Lemon wedges , for serving (optional)
In a medium bowl, mix fish and potatoes with a fork. If the fish you are using has been fried, scrape off the crusty exterior before flaking because you want the cakes to be smooth inside.
Work in ginger with about 1/8 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Combine ingredients in bowl with fork. If desired, add more of each to taste.
Form the mixture into two round patties about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Heat butter and/or oil (using a mixture of both will help prevent the butter from burning) in a medium skillet over medium heat; when sizzling, lay fish cakes in skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Serve with lemon wedges (if using) on the side.
Adapted from The Pleasures of Cooking for One, by Judith Jones, copyright © 2009, with permission from the publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc.