Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 (7-ounce) fillets of beef (1 1/2 inches thick), room temperature
- 1 pound portobello mushrooms , whole with stems cut off
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms , whole
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
One hour before grilling, in a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 teaspoon salt with 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Rub seasoning into fillets; set aside.
Grill mushrooms over medium-high heat 12 to 16 minutes, turning often. Remove and place in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let sit for 15 minutes. Slice mushrooms into 1/4-inch pieces. Return to bowl; add olive oil, vinegar, sugar, parsley, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; combine.
Meanwhile, grill steaks over medium-hot coals: 6 to 7 minutes per side for medium-rare, 9 to 10 for medium. Remove steaks; let sit for 5 minutes. Top with mushrooms.