Fennel, olive, and orange salad is a traditional recipe stolen from a friend's family. Crunchy, bright, and fresh, it's well worth swiping.
Servings: Serves 8
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 fennel bulbs (about 21/2 pounds), tops trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound mesclun salad mix
- 2 oranges , peeled and sectioned
- 1/3 cup pitted (black or green) olives , halved
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese shavings
Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl until blended.
Halve fennel lengthwise. Thinly slice each half using a mandoline or small handheld slicer.
In a large serving bowl, toss fennel with lemon juice. Add mesclun, oranges, olives, parsley, and half the Parmesan. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently until thoroughly blended. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and serve immediately.
Printed from Oprah.com on June 20, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.