- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raw cane sugar (Turbinado)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sweetened applesauce or pureed dried plums
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brewed coffee , cooled
In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In another bowl, combine applesauce, egg whites, vanilla and coffee. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients and pour into prepared pan.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake and invert onto a wire rack; peel off waxed paper. Invert again onto rack to cool completely. Serve with frozen yogurt, if desired.
Recommended ingredient: Turbinado raw cane sugar is available at most grocery stores or at www.sugarintheraw.com.