- 2 sticks of butter
- 3 large onions , thinly sliced
- 1 pound chicken livers , rinsed and dried then trimmed of any connective tissues
- 1 teaspoon salt , 1/2 palmful
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper , eyeball it in your palm
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme , eyeball it in your palm
- 8 slices sprouted wheat bread or pumpernickel bread
- 1 small jar cornichons or baby sweet gherkins
- 2 shallots , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup capers , drained
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and sweat them 15 minutes—do not brown them. Once the onions are sweet and tender, add livers and raise heat just a bit. Cook until livers are firm and cooked through, another 5–6 minutes. Combine salt, pepper and thyme and then sprinkle over the livers and onions. Place mixture in food processor in batches and grind into smooth spread. Transfer to a serving bowl.
While livers cook, place bread on a cookie sheet and bake in oven to dry out and toast, 5–6 minutes. Cut toasted bread slices corner to corner. Pile toast triangles into a bread basket.
Arrange ramekin or other small dishes with cornichons, shallots, Dijon and capers around the warm spread and toast basket. I build my toast like this: mustard, liver spread, shallots, capers and a pickle on top! YUM-O!
Left over spread can be chilled for several days.
* For more information about Rachael Ray, visit www.rachaelrayshow.com.