Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 1 piece (thumb-sized) fresh ginger root , peeled
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 habanero pepper
- Juice of 2 limes , in a separate bowl
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 seedless cucumber , diced
- 1/2 carrot diced
- 1/2 cup jicama , diced
- 1 bunch cilantro , leaves picked and minced
- 1/4 red pepper , diced
- 1/4 yellow pepper , diced
- 1/4 orange pepper , diced
Put the garlic, ginger and habanero in a food processor, or blender, and grind to a fine puree, adding a few drops of the limejuice to loosen it up a bit.
Place this in a 1 1/2- or two-quart sauce/soup pan, over medium high heat. Sauté for 10 seconds and removed from heat.
Pour in the broth, return pan to heat, let it come to a slow simmer. Cook for 15 minutes to incorporate all the flavors.
Divide the garnish vegetables between four soup bowls and pour the broth over.
123.9 calories, 26 calories from fat, 3g total fat, 0.8g saturated fat, 3mg of cholesterol, 1574mg sodium, 12.2g total carbohydrate, 2.7g dietary fiber, 12.6g protein
Food exchanges: 1.3 lean meat, 2.1 vegetable