Try this delicious recipe!
Servings: Makes 16 servings
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons prune puree or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; set aside.
For the topping: In a mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Set crumb mixture aside.
To make the cake: In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cherries; stir well and set aside. In a separate mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, orange zest, oil, prune puree, vanilla and egg whites; whisk until egg whites are well beaten. Gradually add flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
To assemble: Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and sprinkle crumb mixture over the batter.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Cut into 16 wedges. Serve warm or room temperature.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 19, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.