Serves 4 to 6
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms of your choice
- 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas or 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce, for serving
For the best flavor, heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds longer. Alternatively, omit the oil and sauté these ingredients in a few tablespoons of water or combine them in a microwave-safe bowl with a little water, cover, and microwave for 2 minutes.
Transfer the onion mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the quinoa, mushrooms, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, chiles, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on High until the quinoa is tender, about 2 hours. If your slow cooker runs "hot," check it after 1 1/2 hours.
Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot, passing the hot sauce at the table.
From Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker (Harvard Common Press) by Robin Robertson.
More Slow-Cooker Recipes