Servings: Makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ' ' ripe bananas , peeled and sliced diagonally 1/2-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 12 gingersnaps , crumbled
- 4 heaping spoonfuls whipped cream
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 3/4 cup sliced tropical fruit (like kiwi, star fruit, or pineapple)
In a large skillet, melt the butter over a medium-high flame. Add the bananas and cook, stirring, 3 minutes until they begin to soften. Sprinkle the bananas with the brown sugar and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the heat; add the rum. Return the skillet to the heat. Standing back, ignite the rum with a long wooden match. When the flame burns out, add the lime juice.
Divide the bananas and sauce between four large martini glasses or dessert bowls. Top each serving with the ice cream, crumbled cookies, whipped cream, coconut, and tropical fruit.