Servings: Serves 6
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh gingerroot , peeled and finely chopped
- 10 to 12 carrots (about 2 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded (unsweetened or sweetened) coconut , toasted (optional)
In a large, heavy saucepan or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Smash bottom end of lemongrass (about 3 inches) with handle end of a knife. Add lemongrass, onion, celery, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add carrots and curry powder and stir to coat vegetables. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes, or until carrots are very tender. Skim foam and fat from top.
Transfer from heat. Remove lemongrass and discard. Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender (or puree in the pot with a hand blender). Return to pan and stir in coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with toasted coconut, if desired.
Printed from Oprah.com on May 24, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.