Servings: Serves 6
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 stalks celery , chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh gingerroot , peeled and finely chopped
- 10 to 12 carrots (about 2 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded (unsweetened or sweetened) coconut , toasted (optional)
In a large, heavy saucepan or stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Smash bottom end of lemongrass (about 3 inches) with handle end of a knife. Add lemongrass, onion, celery, garlic, and ginger. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add carrots and curry powder and stir to coat vegetables. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes, or until carrots are very tender. Skim foam and fat from top.
Transfer from heat. Remove lemongrass and discard. Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender (or puree in the pot with a hand blender). Return to pan and stir in coconut milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls and garnish with toasted coconut, if desired.