- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 stalk lemongrass , trimmed and cut into 4 pieces, each smashed with side of chef's knife
- 3 pounds medium mussels , scrubbed, debearded, and rinsed (see note, below)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeno , seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 lime , cut into wedges
Add the mussels and stir well. Turn up the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly, cover, and cook 4 to 6 minutes, or until all mussels open. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels as they open to a large bowl. (Remove and discard any that don't open.) Season broth with salt and pepper. Transfer equal portions of the mussels and broth to 6 bowls. Sprinkle with jalapeno and serve with lime wedges on the side.
Note: Always cook mussels on the day you purchase them. Never pry open a cooked mussel. If it hasn't opened on its own, it's not meant to be eaten.