Servings: Serves 6
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed French green lentils (called lentils de Puy)
- 1 tsp. ground curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
In a large soup pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the broth, lentils, curry powder and cinnamon, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are fully cooked and tender.
Once lentils are tender, season to taste with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and top with chopped fresh cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.