Adapted from Spices of Life
Servings: Makes 6 servings
- 3 dried red chili peppers or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2-inch slices fresh ginger , peeled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions , cut into small dice
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 5 sweet potatoes , (about 3 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Steamed rice , optional
To make seasoning: With the machine running, drop each ingredient, one at a time, into feed tube of a food processor and process, turning the machine on and off several times, until the seasonings are evenly chopped into to a coarse powder.
Heat the oil in a heavy casserole or a Dutch oven with a lid over medium-low heat until hot. Add the seasoning and onion, and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes, or until the onion is tender and seasonings are fragrant.
To make sauce: Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Add sauce to the onion mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in the potatoes so they're coated with sauce. Return the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, then cover and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Scoop the sweet potatoes and sauce into a serving bowl. Serve with steamed rice, if desired.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 7, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.