Servings: Serves 4–6
- 6 cucumbers , peeled and seeded
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small red onion , minced
- 1 small yellow onion , minced
- 1 bunch scallions , chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic , peeled; 1 minced, 1 whole
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices country bread
Cut 4 cucumbers into large chunks. Puree in a food processor with vinegar, 3/4 cup water and sugar until smooth. Remove and place in a large bowl. Chop the remaining two cucumbers into 1/4-inch cubes and combine with puree. Add red and yellow onions, scallions, parsley, three tablespoons olive oil and minced garlic. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. (Additional salt and pepper are usually required.) Chill at least one hour.
Rub whole garlic clove on each country bread slice. Brush with remaining olive oil. Grill or broil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Serve garlic crisps hot or at room temperature with chilled gazpacho.