Servings: Serves 4–6
- 1 cup pickled watermelon rind , diced | Get the recipe!
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups diced yellow watermelon
- 5 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped cucumbers (about 5 medium)
- 1/4 to 1/2 small habanero chili , seeded and minced
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper , to taste
You can also buy pickled rind at Amazon.com
.To make salsa:
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, toss well, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.To make soup:
Place watermelon cubes in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain through a medium-mesh strainer to remove seeds, and return juice to blender. Working in batches, add cucumber and puree until smooth. Add habanero, vinegar, oil, and salt; puree. Season with white pepper to taste.
Chill soup if desired. To serve, top each bowl with a spoonful of salsa.This recipe was adapted from
Vegan Soul Kitchen, by Bryant Terry (Da Capo).