Crunchy Tofu Tacos Recipe
Joe Kim, flyingpigtruck.com
November 24, 2010
The Flying Pig Truck offers many food options with a French-Asian flair, including these fried tofu tacos.
Servings: Makes 12 tacos
- 1 package (14 ounces) extra-firm tofu , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 Tbsp. Korean chili powder or hot paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Korean pepper paste (kochuujang)
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated garlic
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups vegetable oil , for frying
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- Hoisin sauce , for serving
- Kimchi , for serving
- Asian pear , for serving
- Scallions , for serving
- Chopped honey-roasted peanuts , for serving
Place the tofu on a rack lined with paper towels and drain for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of the chili powder with the pepper paste, garlic, ginger and sesame oil and season with salt. In another large bowl, whisk the cornstarch with the remaining 2 tablespoons of chili powder and 1 tablespoon of salt.
In a medium, deep skillet, heat the oil until it reaches 365°. Add the tofu to the chili sauce and stir gently to coat. Scrape the tofu into the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat. Transfer the coated tofu to a colander to tap out the excess cornstarch. Fry the tofu in one batch, stirring occasionally, until golden and crunchy, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes; maintain the heat near 360°. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the crunchy tofu to a paper towel—lined rack and sprinkle with salt. Serve the tofu right away with the tortillas, hoisin sauce, kimchi, Asian pear, scallions and peanuts.
Printed from Oprah.com on March 16, 2014
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.