Recipe created by Aine McAteer
I like to make this when I've made up a batch of my crunchy granola from assorted seeds, almonds and oat flakes, but you can also buy some nice, natural granola at your local health food store. For a lighter parfait, you can omit the granola.
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups filtered or spring water or more water for thinner cream
- 1/3 cup agave syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups mixed berries
- 2 cups crunchy granola
- Mint sprigs, for garnish
Combine cashews, water, syrup and vanilla in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
Rinse berries—cut strawberries in quarters and toss with other berries.
Put about 1/4 cup berries in the bottom of four parfait glasses or glass tumblers. Drizzle cream over berries and top with 2 tablespoons granola. Add another layer of berries, cream and granola. Top with a mint sprig.
- If you have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the cream and serve it as an ice cream parfait for a delicious, refreshing treat.
- Other fruits, such as fresh peaches, plums, grapes, cherries or mango, can be used. You could also use stewed apple or pear or a mixture of stewed apple and blueberries.
- You could use apple juice or other fruit juice in place of the water to make the cream. In this case, just add 1 tablespoon syrup.
- In place of agave syrup, you can use rice syrup, maple syrup or honey.
- If you eat only raw foods, you can find some lovely raw dehydrated granolas in many health food stores or make your own.
Published on February 24, 2010