Servings: Serves 6
- 3/4 pound thin egg noodles such as angel hair or vermicelli
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 1/2 tablespoons rice wine or sake
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks , halved lengthwise, rinsed thoroughly, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths and julienned
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- Barbecued Chicken Breasts , cut into bite-size pieces
To make the noodles: Bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add noodles and salt and stir; cook 5 to 6 minutes or until near tender. Meanwhile, combine sesame and olive oils in a large bowl. Drain noodles in a colander, rinsing lightly. Transfer to bowl and toss lightly with oils.
Heat a broiler until red-hot. Place noodles in a flat circle on a baking sheet about 3 inches from broiler; cook 10 minutes or until golden brown. Flip with a spatula to brown other side. Remove from heat and keep warm in a low oven.
To make the topping: In a bowl, whisk together broth, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch, until smooth. Set aside.
Heat a well-seasoned wok or a large, deep, nonstick skillet over high heat. Add olive oil; heat until near smoking. Add leeks, garlic and ginger; stir-fry over medium-high heat until leeks are tender, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add carrots and remaining 2 tablespoons wine and stir-fry 1 minute. Add broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, about 1 minute. Arrange browned noodles on a platter. Sprinkle chicken pieces on top, and pour vegetables and sauce over everything before serving.