Crispy California Avocado Tacos Recipe
Created by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, BorderGrill.com
November 24, 2010
This version of our signature Border Grill Truck avocado taco is perfect for the home cook. Featuring creamy avocado with a crispy, seeded crust, these tacos make a delicious and satisfying vegetarian meal, especially when accompanied by rice and beans.
Servings: Serves 4
- 4 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- Sea salt and ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 red bell pepper , cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 green onions , white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 canned chipotle chili , seeded, if desired, and minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro , chopped
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour or rice flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- All-purpose flour or rice flour , for dusting
- ripe, firm, fresh California avocado* , seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- Salt , to taste
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 8 (4-inch) corn tortillas , warmed
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce , torn in half
- 1 cup Corn salsa** (see make-ahead recipe below)
- 8 sprigs cilantro , for garnish
To make corn salsa: Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sautécorn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and let sit 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
To make tacos: Combine flour, 1/3 cup water, cumin, salt and pepper to make a batter.
In a separate bowl, combine quinoa, poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
Place flour for dusting into a third bowl.
Season avocado liberally with salt.
To coat avocado, dust wedges with flour, shaking off all excess. Dip floured wedges into batter to coat lightly and then roll each wedge in the seed mixture, pressing gently to form a complete crust.
Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375° in a small pot. In batches, fry the coated avocado wedges in the hot oil until seeds are golden and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to drain.
To assemble the tacos, place a piece of lettuce in the center of each warm tortilla and top with a crispy avocado wedge, a generous spoonful of Corn Salsa and a cilantro sprig. Serve immediately.
* Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
** Don't have time to make your own corn salsa? Use your favorite store-bought salsa and make it special by stirring in a little freshly squeezed lime juice, some chipotle chilies and a dollop of sour cream.
Copyright © 2010, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, BorderGrill.com.
Per serving: Calories 560; total fat 35g (Sat 4g, trans 0g, poly 3g, mono 16g); cholesterol 0mg; sodium 460mg; total carbohydrates 53g; dietary fiber 10g; protein 14g
Printed from Oprah.com on December 6, 2013
© 2010 Harpo Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.