Crisp Carrot Salad with Currants
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. mild chile powder , preferably Chimayo, Ancho or Hatch
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 cup Zante currants
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 pounds (about 12 large) carrots , peeled
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped chives
2. Place the currants in a small bowl, pour over the water, and let sit for 10 minutes to plump. Drain and discard the water.
It is preferable that the carrots be thinly sliced on a Japanese mandoline and then cut across into matchsticks. They can also be grated through a large grate using a food processor or box grater. You will need about 12 cups.
3. Add the carrots and the currants to the dressing and toss to coat. Drizzle in 1/4 cup of the oil and the chives and toss again. Add additional oil as needed to coat the carrots.
From Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang. Copyright © 2009. Published by Hyperion. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.