Servings: Serves 6 to 8
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 large cloves garlic , chopped
- 3 pounds unpeeled russet or baking potatoes (about 4 potatoes), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Remove bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate, break into small pieces and set aside.
Drain from the pot all but 2 tablespoons fat. Add onion and increase heat to medium. Cook until golden, about 12 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 more minute. Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
With an immersion blender, puree soup until chunky-smooth (or puree in batches in a food processor fitted with knife blade). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, in bowls, topped with bacon bits, sour cream, Cheddar cheese and chives.