This recipe is part of O's Comfort Food Menu
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic , chopped
- 7 large russet potatoes (4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 tsp. salt plus more salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
Meanwhile, in a food processor combine walnuts, sage, parsley, cheese, and 1 teaspoon salt to make pesto. Pulse until finely ground. With the processor on, slowly add 1/2 cup olive oil. Transfer to a bowl.
Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender (or with a hand blender). Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Ladle into bowls and top each with 1 teaspoon of pesto.