Servings: Serves 4
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallot or red onion
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a large pot over high heat, combine chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low and keep warm.
Place olive oil in a Dutch oven or deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add shallots and stir until soft, about 3 minutes. Add coconut and rice and continue stirring 1 minute. Carefully pour in wine and stir until almost absorbed. Add warm stock 1/2 ladle at a time; stir until almost absorbed before adding more. Continue until rice is tender and most of stock is used, about 35 minutes. Remove risotto from heat; add butter, salt and pepper.